All rights reserved © Thomas Allgeier This page was last modified on 5/3/15

STANTON INSTRUMENTS LTD
WORLD LEADERS IN BALANCE DESIGN AND 
WEIGHT MAKING BETWEEN 1946 AND 1968

Company History

Eventually I would like to include here a written account of the history of Stanton Instruments and of the two founders, H M Stanley and A W Harrington. For the time being, these potted histories in table version must suffice.

1946, August

Henry Morton Stanley and Albert W Harrington found Stanton Instruments Ltd.

First premises at 15 Morden Court Parade, London.

Early balances from this period have "STANTON MORDEN" engraved on the beam.

1946 onwards

Early success of SI depended heavily on A W Harrington's contacts with the science and research establishments, originating from his work during the war.

Technically and in the day-to-day running of SI he was the leading man, whereas H M Stanley concentrated on issues of finance and long-term decision making.

1948, early

New premises at Church Road, Upper Norwood, London.

from 1949

119 Oxford Street, London W1 as showroom and registered office.

early 1950's

Operation of cabinet shop at Streatham Place, Streatham Hill, SW2.

from 1951

Development of recording thermobalances, later leading to Stanton-Redcroft.

1953

Introduction of the first British thermobalance.

1955

Thermobalance production moved to 1 Colby Mews, Gipsy Hill, SE19.

June 1959

Main works moved to Copper Mill Lane, Wimbledon, SW17.

circa 1962

Introduction of the mass flow thermobalance.

1963

Purchase of John Jamieson, Glasgow. Later to become Stanton Northern.

1965

Stanton-Redcroft founded to make thermobalances and related instruments.

1965

Streatham Place lost due to compulsory purchase order, cabinet shop moved to Colby Mews, thermobalance production moved to Copper Mill Lane.

1966

Purchase of Howard Rawson & Co. Ltd.

John Jamieson renamed Stanton Instruments (Northern) Ltd.

1966

Commercial DTA (differential thermo analysis) introduced (Stanton Redcroft).

1967

119 Oxford Street vacated and let out.

1968, November

Entire group of Stanton companies sold to Avery Ltd. H M Stanley resigns from board, A W Harrington remains as managing director.

circa 1970

Integration of production and products into L Oertling Ltd (a company of the Avery group).

1971

A W Harrington resigns from board.

1980's

Stanton name gradually disappears from Oertling/Avery range.

1983

Stanton-Redcroft became part of Thermal Scientific plc.